History

History

History

History of The Hague, City of Peace and Justice

The Hague has a long history in the field of peace and justice. It all started with the first Hague Peace Conference, held in the city in 1899. One of the main results of this conference was the establishment of the Permanent Court of Arbitration, housed in the Peace Palace which was built for this purpose and opened in 1913. In 1946 the Peace Palace also became home to the United Nations’ highest judicial organ, the International Court of Justice (ICJ) - the only UN organ not headquartered in New York. Since then, more and more institutions have been drawn to The Hague. The city is now home to some 200 international organisations working towards a common goal: a just and peaceful world for everyone.

View the factsheet for more information about the history of The Hague as city of peace and justice.

Prestigious organisations

Thanks to the establishment of the Permanent Court of Arbitration and the ICJ’s forerunner, the Permanent Court of International Justice, The Hague increasingly became a byword for peace and justice. This has made it an ever more attractive location for organisations from all over the world.

Motto

Since 2012 The Hague has been officially entitled to include the motto 'Peace and Justice' on its coat of arms. The Supreme Council of Nobility granted the city this right in recognition of its contribution over the past century to bringing about a world of peace and justice.

Hearing Permanent Court of Arbitration

History downloads

All downloads

History

History

99 kB

Hearing International Court of Justice

Hearing International Court of Justice

Source: The Hague Online Media Centre
2,47 MB

  • The Hague